What Happened When I Started Writing Poetry???




What Happened When I Started Writing Poetry???
Middle school was probably the time of my life when I realized that other people’s words (such as song lyrics) could get me through just about anything. Before that, I never really sat down and connected a song to my life or used music to get me through difficult times. It was also in middle school that I discovered that my own words could help me get through things. I began to write poetry (mainly because I found it amusing when I would read it out loud and the words would all rhyme and I kind of wanted to be like Taylor Swift, so I thought of them as song lyrics) about almost everything I had in my life: my brothers, my mom, my dad, my dog, school, home, the outdoors. I would write poems as a gift to my family for a birthday or a special occasion. I loved it. Then I began to write about certain events in my life. It was almost as if I documented what my life was like except with poetry. After every poem I felt accomplished. Over the years I would read my old poetry and it would help me get through things, just like music, except I was the one writing the words that would help me later on in life. To this day, I still look at that notebook with poems in it, and I am taken back to middle school.

I think I really learned the impact that my poetry could have on me right before freshman year of  school. It was the mothers day and I love my mother very much. I know you also love your mother very much. So, I decided to write a poetry for my mother.  That’s when I decided I would read a poem. I wrote a poem for my mother and I stood up and read it to my family and her friends. I almost couldn’t finish reading it and then I felt real peace. She is at peace and I should be as well. That was by far the most emotional, sad, and painful poem I have ever written. And yet it has become the most peaceful poem I have ever written because it is a reminder of that day, a reminder that she is with me at that time and always with me.

I still write poetry today, and it definitely has matured over the years, but I do it for the same reasons I did in middle school. I take events in my life or the way I’m feeling and I get it on paper -- short and to-the-point poems that tell a story or describe a feeling. As soon as I finish, I feel different. If I was angry, I feel calm. If I was sad, I feel a little bit more content. If I was happy, I feel even happier. It’s truly my main way to cope. (Well, maybe not my only way to cope -- I also talk to my mom for about five hours repeating the same things over and over. I’m sure many can relate to that.)

So what happened when I started writing poetry? I found a little more peace with myself. I learned that I had a way to get my thoughts on paper. I learned that I could go back and read my poetry and be taken back to every memory and emotion I have ever felt. I don’t need pictures to do that because I have my poetry. I learned how to make myself (and others) feel better with my own words. I learned that I love myself, and if someone doesn’t like me, then I say, write a poem and move on to the people that do. And that’s exactly what I have done. No matter how hard I try to write a poem, there are no words to describe the feeling of being surrounded by incredible people all the time, the feeling you get when you see the amazing people in your life, the feeling of happiness they bring you, and the feeling of pure peace.

So, do you like my story. If yes, than leave a comment and also leave a like. Thank you.


Visit the shop section and explore the hand picked product. 


Want to publish your poetry. Go for it now. 

Comments